TRANSFORMING A FIELD STUDY INTO A STUDIO PAINTING
On-site: October 5 - October 9 (Monday - Friday)
Student Fee: $1,000
Prerequisites: Foundation and Intermediate courses or permission of the instructor
This course will focus on transforming a field study into a finished studio landscape painting. It will be a semi-paint along where I will demonstrate the process and techniques that help make this transformation successful.
Topics covered will include:
- Transferring the sketch to the canvas and recomposing your composition for maximum impact
- Composing using a monochromatic underpainting to easily adjust composition and values
- Color theory and color mixing
- Exploring the advantages and limitations of working in a full or a limited value and color range
- Adjusting color to create a sense of light, space, and form
- Exploring different methods and materials to create various textures in the underpainting and in the final layers
- Experiment with using unique tools and brushes which will expand the possibilities for applying paint to the surface to present a greater sense of reality while also creating a varied and interesting paint quality
- Applying glazes and mediums to present an additional dimension to the surface of the painting
- Different methods for adding the right amount of detail required to suit the artist’s intention
Each day will start with a demonstration followed by the students applying what was demonstrated to their own artwork.